Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Day 9 - Getting The Hell Out of Cali!!!

Day 9 – Knott’s Great America & Elko, NV

Final Odometer Reading – 4003.4

We were at the park at 9:30 am. The theme park layout is the same as Six Flags Great America in Gurnee, IL so Da MF Man and I knew how to bypass all the touristy, baby rides. Straight to the coasters: The Invertigo, Demon, Top Gun, and the Grizzly. I was feeling nostalgic because I haven’t been to the Six Flags in my hometown since I moved to Atlanta nine years ago. We finished the park in good time (Under two hours as the videon states) and ate at this burger joint called Taxi’s.



The plan was to continue north on the 101 into San Francisco, go across the Golden Gate bridge, then head to Elko, Nevada. Why Elko? Because it was four hours away from Reno, Nevada and I knew we would be tired by then. What we did not know was how long it would ultimately take us to get out of the state of California.

I’m from Chicago. I live in Atlanta. I know what traffic is. Northern California has their own version of traffic that is downright maddening. We would get stuck in congestion for about a half an hour then speed up for 15 minutes only to repeat the cycle. Having to cut through the city to get to the bridge only made it worse. MF Man did get great pictures of the bridge with the fog, clouds, and the like. I was happy just to get some sort of forward progress. What should have only taken us seven hours stretched to nine before we reached the hotel. California, a nice place to visit, but I am done with that state for a while.

After gassing the Smokin’ Monkey Mobile, and watching the cops rustle the homeless guys at the gas station in Reno, we headed towards Elko. Driving at night is not one of my favorite things. Driving at night in the mountains where the sides of the roads are really the edges of the cliffs raised my anxiety levels. I do not like edges. Never had…Never will. We did see make it to the Best Western safe and sound. Now, we only have a day and a half of mountain driving to go.

Why didn’t we fly again?!?

1 comment:

Around the World said...

So which amusement park is the best? Have you gotten a funnel cake? How are you zipping through the parks in less than 3 hours? I am amazed at the professionals.