Friday, May 18, 2007

Day 1 - Galveston, TX

Miles traveled – 825

We survived the first leg of the Smokin’ Monkey Coaster Tour and we will rest in Galveston, TX. The Monkey-Mobile only needed two stops for gas and with an average mpg of 30.4, we are very pleased with our vehicle selection. That doesn’t mean that the price for gas has not caused screams of pain from my wallet. As you can see, gas prices are no better here in the Lone Star State. Got to get those profits from that oil!!!

I did not realize how many bridges one would have to cross in this part of the country. It seemed like every 30 minutes some bridge was crossing some river with a name that could not be pronounced.

Here's my first attempt of chronicling this trip with video. Don't really know what city we were in at the time but...at least I got to stretch:



You have to remember. We are on vacation. A time to step outside our comfort zone, take a few risks and unleash the mischievous alter ego that resides in all of us. Our alter ego is known as “Ivan.” We’ll tell his story in another post. We can't take ourselves to seriously and this and other videos will capture that - I hope.

We ended the night with dinner at Chico’s Paradise – A Mexican bar & grill. The drinks were strong yet needed just a bit more flavor. The food – I doubt I’ll eat anything before Noon tomorrow. Galveston may be a happening island but things were dead for us. Don't know if we have to visit during Spring Break season but the streets were empty.

Tomorrow, we head to San Antonio and the Six Flags Fiesta theme park. Right after I dip my toes in the Gulf of Mexico!!!

That's enough for now. Later!!!

1 comment:

Around the World said...

It's a rental car... why are you buying premium gasoline? Hell, I'd mix 40% Mazola corn oil with 60% 87 gasoline and see how that goes! Happy Driving.